Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lutay




its one of the most usual experience you may have here in bacolod is some of the injuries concening the joints, tendons, and muscles there is a local remedy which we call here "Lutay" (Lu-tay) it is also called generally as "Hilot" (Hee-Lut) and are similar in most aspects and techniques its mostly known to the world as reflexology, The filipino hilot or the illongo lutay has traced most of its techniques and roots from traditional chinese accupressure and reflexology which was introduced for hundreds of years ago by chinese traders and has been passed on to most people,  especially to illongos,  since my childhood the Lutay has been my babushka's remedy to some ailments especially fever and flu due to falls and accidents...

I had a very serious feet misalignment after I did some work and had an accident where I fell with my feet sloping inward, I felt a vein or so got out of its position and I felt very terrible pain,  and since then I had no choice by the second day but to go to a lutay or manug-hilot to finish my agony..

Well one thing I had t have another misadventure which took me half a day,


from the dacha I took a jeepeney ride from a bata jeep and had no option but to walk my aching feet a few meters, you see the street above I took is I walked it for almost 35 minutes, the street is known as the 17th street its the fastest shortcut  to North drive a busy street where you can ride a jeepney going into the hearts of the city; the right foot really hurt a lot after 35 minutes of walking the whole length of 17th street..






After a while I took time to rest and wait for a Shopping Jeepney and took a shot of the Busy North Drive Street, a few moments I was able to board a jeep..



 here the jeep turns into Rosario Mabini where the jeeps goes into the heart of downtown bacolod..



I arrived approximately ten in the morning in the hernaez-smith streets where there are numerous lutay masters who have their places in front of boutiques and small kiosks where they mainly just have some chairs,  some equipments for use in the trade. mst of them use coconut oil, but according to comrade kuzin; (she also knows some procdures in lutay) says u can use any kind of oily or greasy cosmetics which include lotions, baby oils and even hair cream is possible..
A customer undergoing a session, here the manug Lutay or Manughilot does a Back Aligning procedure and uses traditional oil to work his way I was next then to this guy, these lutay master will accept any fee possible just a minimum of 20 pesos will do.. 


The principles of Lutay have been practiced in the Negros for hundreds of centuries, dating back to an era that predates the country’s written history. Since there is no history of this art, numerous Lutay masters failed to document the origins, dates, facts, where the arts originated and who developed these effective and intriguing healing art. There is no doubt that Hilot and lutay is practiced in the Philippines to varying degrees or levels, nationwide.

Lutay is mostly accupressure and reflexology rolled into one, it employs chiropractic manipulation and massage for the diagnosis and treatment of musculoligamentous and musculoskeletal ailments. They also have been known to reset dislocated and sprained joints such as the knee, ankle, fingers and metacarpal bones and mostly concentrates in realigning mislocated arteries and veins and other vital systems such as nerves which have been dislocated due to accidents, falls and some certain sports related injuries


Coconut oil is essential in all kinds of  Lutay and hilot procedures to maintain warm hands. The oil does not only lubricate the massage but it also keeps the Lutay master's hands warm.


After a hilot session, the person is usually warned not to bathe for approximately twenty four hours so the oils can absorb into the skin.

well after the session I had, I was advised not to take a bath for the next 12 hours but I can take cold water but not wet the right foot, well just to make sure I decided not to take a bath for the next 12 hours and I was deranged to use a bottle of softdrinks to roll my feet around once in a while to promote circulation around the affected blood vessels, the lutay master confirmed me that by a day or so the condition will get better.. well up until im making this post I was still rolling the bottle on my feet once in a while..

so much for that comrades! for you guys here living in Bacolod and  having problems with their body such as back ache that cannot go away for weeks go to your neighborhoods  nearest friendly "Manug Lutay" or Manug Hilot.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment